Friday, November 20, 2009

Weekend Reading

I have been planning some new posts, but I also have the most enormous pile of marking that I have been studiously avoiding and now have to spend the whole weekend on. So just imagine me under a pile of papers with a coffee or a wine (depending on which end of the day it is) crying over split infinitives and too much wikipedia in bibliographies.

In the meantime here are some links to some things I have read recently and wanted to share.

A blog I have just discovered called Enfilade, the writer describes it as a 'Serial Newsletter for the Historians of Eighteenth Century Art & Architecture'. I really admire this blog it has a range of links and short articles that relate to various aspects of the eighteenth century. From notes on important scholars, info on fellowships, discussions of exhibitions, and so on. Intelligent, but not overly wordy. A really good academic blog, which I think is quite an achievement.

A few articles from The Art Newspaper (you can follow them on twitter now too). I particularly like this one about the 19th century Spanish Queen Isabella II knowingly pulling the wool over the eyes of Pope Pius IX and giving him a fake painting.

I also enjoyed this one about Umberto Eco as guest curator for the Louvre, his subject is 'The infinity of Lists'. I love lists and art so naturally I really like the sound of this exhibition. Now I just need some kind of instant and free travel portal to take me to Paris to see it....

Finally, a funny piece on the types of Women you encounter in the art world.

Oh and in case you are curious (which I sincerely hope you are as being curious is a most attractive quality) the photo is of the library in the Abbey of St Nilus at Grottaferrata, south east of Rome. It is still reserved primarily for the use of the monks that live there, one of whom was kind enough to show us around when I visited last year.

2 comments:

  1. Before I read the text of your post, I opened up the library photo to see if I recognised the location. It had your name on the bottom of the photo, so I thought LUCKY BUGGER, WHAT A PLACE TO STUDY!!!

    I do believe that an excellent library is essential for scholarliness. Not only for the reference material that you can pull down off the shelves. But for the atmosphere created by timber, leather binding, portraits, serious and comfortable chairs, parquetry.. and the smell of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I love good libraries. I have been lucky enough to work in a couple. Though I do have to admit that sometimes old and atmospheric is not very ergonomic!
    It's a shame that spaces like the lovely old arts library at the State Library of Victoria has been taken away from readers and neglected.
    I also love libraries that are full of other people who are there to get their heads down and read giving the room a sense of quiet busy-ness. rather than so many libraries that are full of people chatting on mobiles and just looking at their facebook and stock quotes.
    I readily admit to a bit of library snobbery!

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter