Friday, May 30, 2008

Borrowed Facades

Since writing the below post I have been considering the idea of the 'borrowed facade.' I am curious to the extent to which it enters into the thinking of architects who design such buildings.

These were several buildings I looked at for about two years, as it they were outside my study window and I would watch them all day. Rain, sun, and night. It gave me a new respect for the beauty of modern city buildings. As someone who spends a lot of time in the Baroque in Europe I think I had dismissed the modern architecture of Melbourne completely as something I could really enjoy. Of course there is still a lot I don't like. Watch for coming soon post on the evils of balconies.


View c. July 2005 of (r-l) tallest buildings) the Southern Cross development, 101 Collins St and BHP Petroleum Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter