Sunday, April 19, 2009

Garden TV

I watched 'Around the World in 80 Gardens' last Tuesday on ABC. Apart from the fact that I am deeply jealous of Monty Don's job and think that I would make a much better host (jokes! ... maybe), I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing to see something about gardens that was about more than just planting seedlings or laying the latest paving. He visited a wonderful range of gardens and reflected on the reasons behind their creation, how they fit within day to day life, or how they reflected high art and design. He also tapped into the idea that gardens are art, but a very different art. He described them as:

The most human of all arts because we inhabit them.
Some of my favourite gardens from the first episode included those of Luis Barragan in Mexico.

Casa Barragan. Photo from here.

Also the wonderfully whimsical and fantastical garden of Los Pozas in Xilitla by Edward James between the 1940s and the 1980s. It reminded me of the Sacro Bosco, at Bomarzo, Italy.




Photos from here.

Sacro Bosco, Bomarzo, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter